The International Sleep Products Association, an Alexandria-Va.-based trade organization representing mattress manufacturers and suppliers of bedding components, machinery and services, is seeking to hire an editor for BedTimes, a monthly, 64- to 140-page magazine covering mattress industry news and trends for its members and other interested readers.
First published in 1917, BedTimes is the only monthly magazine devoted to the mattress industry. Published by ISPA, it has a global reach, targeting more than 3,800 mattress industry professionals around the world. BedTimes focuses on the topics that matter most to manufacturers and suppliers—new products, manufacturing innovations, market trends, legislative/regulatory updates and more. The BedTimes website is an important source of breaking news for the industry.
The editor of BedTimes is a full-time salaried position, which reports to the vice president of membership and communications. The editor will manage all aspects of the magazine, including content, staff management, budgeting, production, vendors and public relations. Telecommuting is optional.
The BedTimes editor must:
• Possess creativity and knowledge of a variety of industry and business topics
• Be an excellent business journalist with a keen eye for detail and have high level of adaptability
• Have a strong sense of direction, imagination and forward thinking to achieve circulation and advertising growth
• Adapt as technology changes the publishing industry and how ISPA communicates with its members and other relevant audiences
• Participate in industry events and visit members and others relevant to the BedTimes audience
• Foster collaboration with the publications team and ISPA staff, and demonstrate solid management skills.
Job duties include:
• Set editorial tone and direction
• Direct staff members and freelance writers, photographers and proofreaders
• Assign articles
• Write monthly editorial and articles, as needed
• Produce monthly ad/editorial roadmaps
• Oversee design, layout, graphics and photography
• Coordinate monthly printing/production schedules
• Approve printer proofs, in conjunction with staff
• Create annual editorial calendar and production schedule
• Establish budgets and monitor monthly financials
• Attend High Point and Las Vegas furniture markets, ISPA Industry Conference, ISPA EXPO, Interzum Cologne and other events (up to 10% travel)
• Maintain a public presence to project a positive profile of the magazine
• Oversee content of website, social media efforts and digital publishing efforts
• Work with the vice president of sales on promotional house ads and assist with other advertising projects
• Oversee circulation
• Prepare reports for ISPA Executive Committee and board meetings
• Meet regularly with publications team and senior ISPA staff to coordinate overall ISPA objectives and operational issues
• Schedule planning sessions to identify trends that affect the value and effectiveness of ISPA’s communications activities
• Understand and comply with media law and industry ethical guidelines.
• BS/BA in Journalism or the equivalent
• 3 to 5 years minimum editorial experience
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products and InDesign
• Strong manager of people, mentor and developer of talent
• Team builder; inspirational and motivational leader
• Conceptual skills and strategic thinker
• Strong work ethic
• Digital proponent, while still appreciating the value of print
• Furniture industry experience preferred but not required
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Mary Helen Uusimaki
VP Membership and Communications
International Sleep Products Association
501 Wythe Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Formed in 1915, ISPA represents nearly 600 manufacturing facilities in more than 50 countries around the world. ISPA members range from multinational mattress and sleep products manufacturing companies to small, family-owned operations. The association provides a wide range of legislative, informational, and educational services that benefit its membership. Many of these services are exclusive to ISPA members; others seek to increase consumers and media awareness of the industry’s contribution to the health and quality of everyday life.
The International Sleep Products Association is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the bases of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability (mental and/or physical), age or genetic information. Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.