Record Fourth Quarter and Full Year Revenue of $150.3 million and $497.0 million
26% YoY Growth in North America in the Fourth Quarter, Including 43% YoY Growth in Retail Partnerships Reiterates Expectation to Achieve Profitability Goals
NEW YORK–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Casper Sleep Inc. (“Casper” or the “Company”) (NYSE: CSPR) today announced financial results for the quarter ended December 31, 2020 (the “fourth quarter 2020” or “fourth quarter”) and the year ended December 31, 2020 (the “year” or “2020”).
Fourth Quarter and 2020 Financial Highlights (as compared to the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2019, respectively)
- Revenue increased 18.4% to a record $150.3 million on a quarterly basis and by 13.1% to a record $497.0 million for the year;
- North America revenue increased 25.8% to a record $150.3 million on a quarterly basis and by $72.0 million or 17.4% to a record $485.0 million for the year;
- North America Direct-to-Consumer revenue increased 19.1% to a record $101.9 million on a quarterly basis and by 7.5% to a record $351.5 million for the year;
- North America Retail Partnership revenue increased 42.8% to a record $48.4 million on a quarterly basis and by 55.4% to $133.6 million for the year;
- Gross Profit increased $14.9 million or 24.7% to $75.3 million with gross margin of 50.1% up 252 basis points on a quarterly basis, and increased $38.5 million or 17.9% to $253.9 million with gross margin of 51.1% up 204 basis points for the year;
- Net loss improved $10.6 million or 41.4% to a loss of $15.0 million on a quarterly basis and improved by $3.5 million or 3.7% to a loss of $89.6 million for the year;
- Adjusted EBITDA loss improved by $13.4 million or 79.5% to a loss of $3.5 million on a quarterly basis and improved by $25.4 million or 35.9% to a loss of $45.3 million for the year; and
- Cash and cash equivalents of $88.9 million at year end.
“Casper finished 2020 strongly with record revenue for both the fourth quarter and the full year,” said Chief Executive Officer Philip Krim. “Fourth quarter revenue growth was driven by 43% year-over-year growth in North American retail partnership revenue and 19% growth in North American direct-to-consumer revenue, which resulted in an 80% year-over-year improvement in Adjusted EBITDA. Despite the pandemic, we were able to deliver 17.4% North American revenue growth for the full year 2020, and we expect top-line growth to accelerate in 2021 with positive Adjusted EBITDA in the second half of the year.”
Mr. Krim continued, “2020 was an important year for Casper. We continued to prioritize the health and safety of our customers and employees as we navigated through the pandemic and successfully executed on the business model we outlined a year ago in our IPO. The fourth quarter demonstrates that our model continues to work well. We took more products to market through increased points of distribution while further elevating our industry-leading brand. We navigated a challenging supply chain backdrop to successfully meet increasing consumer demand, and we entered 2021 well positioned to drive future growth. This year, we will continue to focus on increasing our market share, creating additional operating leverage, and making progress toward our profitability goals.”
The Company today provided an outlook for certain financial metrics for the quarter ending March 31, 2021 (“first quarter 2021”) and year ending December 31, 2021 (“full year 2021” or “2021”), reflecting certain assumptions by management regarding the Company’s business, trends, seasonal factors, and the continuing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on its business. In addition, the outlook assumes there will be no material changes in world events, recent consumer trends, economic conditions, competitive landscape or other circumstances beyond our control that may adversely affect the Company’s results of operations.
In the first quarter 2021, the Company expects revenue of approximately $118 to $125 million, net loss of approximately $25 to $22 million, and Adjusted EBITDA loss of approximately $16 to $13 million. At the mid-point, this revenue range represents 7% growth and 14% North America growth in the first quarter 2021. For the full year 2021, the Company expects revenue of approximately $570 to $600 million. At the mid-point, this revenue range represents 18% growth and 20% North America growth for 2021.