“The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.”
— James Taylor
Ahh, autumn. A glorious time of year.
While I cherish the grace of colorful leaves descending to their winter’s rest, the splendor of crisp mornings and the hilarity of my brothers’ attention to the NFL, I’m a warm weather girl (meaning temps above 90 degrees), so the third season of the year typically ushers in a sense of melancholy.
The most productive way I have learned to counter that feeling is to think about events I look forward to. Yes, I realize it’s only October, which may be a little early to be thinking about the coming year, but magazine editors always have to plan months ahead.
And, let’s face it: The past 20 months, well, have been confounding and tragic, to say the least. So, I thought I would outline a selection of industry- and nonindustry-related events we have to look forward to in 2022:mary
- High Point Market: While not a huge bedding market, the High Point Market continues to be the largest furniture market in the world. This month’s market is Oct. 16-20 in High Point, North Carolina. In 2022, markets are April 2-6 and Oct. 22-26.
- Las Vegas Market: In the neon capital of the world, thousands of bedding manufacturers and retailers meet at the semi-annual Las Vegas Market to introduce and purchase a variety of products. (To read about the Las Vegas Market held in August, see page 37.) Word is the January market (Jan. 23-27, 2022) will be a humdinger. The summer show is scheduled for July 24-28, 2022.
- ISPA EXPO: For more than 100 years, ISPA has afforded members the opportunity to join together for ISPA EXPO. Set next year for March 8-10 in Orlando, Florida, ISPA members plan to gather for another record-breaking event. Obviously, the purpose of the biennial show is for members to conduct business, but everyone always seems to have fun as they catch up with old friends and make new ones at receptions, meals and on the show floor.
- U.S. midterm elections: Regardless of your political leanings … oh, heck no. We aren’t going there. Like many of you, I imagine, a root canal would be more pleasant.
- 2022 FIFA World Cup: I realize all of our readers don’t follow sports, but the World Cup, held quadrennially, often is referred to as the most prestigious tournament in the world. It begins Nov. 21, 2022, in Qatar.