The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency recently honored Covestro with the E3 Encouraging Environmental Excellence Silver Award. The award program recognizes organizations for their activities that reduce environmental impact and conserve natural resources.
Through the program, the Ohio EPA evaluates environmental excellence across 15 categories, including topics such as pollution prevention, life cycle assessments, and sustainable materials and purchasing.
In 2020, Covestro established a new vision to become fully circular and, in 2022, set the goal to achieve climate neutrality by 2035. Today the company — with North American headquarters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania — can show tangible results and long-term commitment across many categories.
Among its achievements, Covestro’s Newark, Ohio, site has:
- Reduced absolute CO2 emissions against a 2019 baseline
- Increased its recycling of industrial materials from 45% to 57% against a 2019 baseline
- Reduced the amount of water used annually by more than 4 million gallons against a 2019 baseline.
- Implemented Operation Clean Sweep Blue, a program designed to prevent plastic pellet loss into the environment
- Contributed to community programs, including Adopt A Highway, United Way, Red Cross, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America and more.
“Winning the Ohio EPA E3 Award reinforces the fact that our sustainability measures are making a real impact,” said Rich Rogers, site manager of Covestro’s Newark, Ohio, facility. “Our entire workforce understands that to achieve Covestro’s mission to make the world a brighter place, we need to put sustainability at the center of our business. We are committed to continuing our work to improve the community that we call home.”